NewsLocal News


Dozens arrested from 'large group in violation of curfew'

Posted at 7:36 PM, May 31, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-01 02:36:25-04

RICHMOND, Va. — A curfew did not stop demonstrators from marching through parts of Virginia’s capital city Sunday after two nights of protests that led to violence, injuries and property damage.

A large group of demonstrators was still seen in parts of the city as of 9 p.m. after the 8 p.m. curfew.
A VCU Alert issued around 9:15 p.m. warned of a "disorderly crowd" at 12th and Marshall streets on the MCV Campus.

Richmond Police officials tweeted just before 9:45 p.m. that "arrests have begun" and two dozen people were in custody.

"A large group of protesters are in violation of tonight’s curfew in Richmond," police said.

"I am very close to city Hall. The protesters just arrived and police are streaming in," reporter Melissa Hipolit said around 9 p.m. "We have seen two rounds of tear gas deployed."

State police in riot gear as well as Richmond Police "streamed in," Hipolit said. "You can see so many police lining Broad Street right by the state capitol."

"They have been following them for awhile now," Hipolit said. "When the police first encountered the protesters, that is when they started telling them, 'You're out past curfew. You must go home.'"

Officers were spotted cuffing demonstrators not far away near Richmond City Hall.

"This is our city. This is what it looks like right now," Hipolit said.

Cars are still driving down Broad Street, Hipolit noted.

WTVR CBS 6 is monitoring this event, while keeping our distance afar to protect our news crews. There has been a great deal of violence against journalists over the last 48 hours and we want to keep you informed, but will put the safety of our employees first. In fact, we have multiple security guards with our crews to help avoid danger, rather than go into it.

Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency across Virginia on Sunday.

The emergency declaration includes a curfew for the city of Richmond that will be in effect from 8 p.m. through 6 a.m. for the next three nights.

Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney requested the curfew. Northam also activated the Virginia National Guard in his emergency declaration.

Workers were cleaning up broken glass and other debris from the protests Sunday morning.