NewsLocal News


4 arrested after another night of Richmond protests

Posted at 7:40 AM, Jun 25, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-25 17:44:13-04

RICHMOND, Va.-- Police arrested four people Wednesday night into Thursday morning after the department declared an unlawful assembly at the Robert E. Lee Monument in Richmond.

Hundreds of protesters gathered at the Lee Monument and later marched through the streets to speak out against police brutality and racial injustice. The protests have been a nightly occurrence in Richmond for nearly a month, following the death of George Floyd on Memorial Day.

The state officially closed the area around the monument at sunset.

According to a timeline provided by Richmond Police, officers arrived at the monument at about 10:50 p.m. to enforce the trespassing law.

A CBS 6 news crew was with the protesters when they left the Lee Monument at about 11:30 p.m. and began to march down Broad Street toward downtown Richmond.

Over the course of the evening, police reported windows were broken at Whole Foods (2024 W Broad St.), Starbucks (400 N Robinson St.), and District 5 restaurant (1911 W Main St.)

Additionally, the pedestal where Confederate General Williams Carter Wickham once stood in Monroe Park was spray painted.

Police said the protesters mostly disbanded by 4 a.m.

Police say Clarence Green, III. 23, Richmond, was arrested after refusing to disperse when Unlawful Assembly was declared at the Lee Monument:

Three protesters were arrested later in the evening on charges including pointing a laser at an aircraft, assaulting an officer, and obstruction of justice.

· Jonathan Wolverton, 21, W/M, Richmond

  • Interfering with Aircraft
  • Simple Possession of Marijuana

· Jack Glass, 23, W/M, Chesterfield

  • Obstruction by Force

· Mychael Montgomery, 25, B/M, Richmond

  • Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer

Police stated Wednesday night's protest at the Lee Monument was cleared without the use of force.

Witness accounts and video from overnight seemed to show at least one officer firing something at a protester at one point in the evening.

This is a developing story.