Overloaded extension cord sparks Highland Park fire

Posted at 4:06 PM, Aug 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-13 18:37:29-04

RICHMOND, Va. -- An electrical fire in the city's Highland Park neighborhood displaced three adults Saturday afternoon.

Fire units were called to the 3100 block of Enslow Avenue a little after 2:30 p.m. and discovered fire coming from the second floor of the house upon arriving on scene. Due to a quick response from firefighters, the fire was marked under control just before 3 p.m.

Officials on scene told CBS 6 that three adults were home at the time of the fire and have been displaced, although no one sustained any injuries. The cause of the fire was determined to be an overloaded extension cord behind the refrigerator.

The fire department wants to emphasize that it is important for people to have working smoke detectors in their homes.

The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are Working For You.

Contact the CBS 6 Problem Solvers

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.