‘Use a timer,’ firefighters stress after kitchen fire breaks out in Henrico home

Posted at 10:05 PM, Jul 12, 2015
and last updated 2015-07-13 06:38:03-04

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. – Firefighters  doused a blaze that broke out in the kitchen of a Henrico home Sunday evening. Crews were dispatched to the 1900 block of North Battery Drive around 8:10 p.m. That's not far from Richmond International Raceway.

"First arriving units were on scene in four minutes and reported smoke coming from the front door," Henrico Fire spokesman Capt. Daniel Rosenbaum said.  "Inside the home fire crews found fire in the kitchen of the single story home. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the kitchen."

Officials said the fire, which was deemed accidental and caused by unattended cooking, was quickly marked under control by 8:25 p.m.

Since firefighters quickly knocked out the flames, Rosenbaum said the family of two will just be displaced "for a short period."

No one was home when the blaze started.

"Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries," Rosenbaum stressed. "The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It’s important to be alert to prevent cooking fires."

Kitchen fire prevention tips from Henrico County Division of Fire:

• Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food.
• If you are simmering, baking or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.



Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.