UPDATE: Northside apartments condemned after fire

Posted at 6:43 AM, Aug 11, 2014
and last updated 2014-08-11 18:58:03-04

Hanes Ave 03

RICHMOND, Va. — Firefighters said an unattended cigarette at a renter’s basement bedside sparked an early morning fire that condemned a North Richmond duplex apartment.

No one was injured in an early-morning apartment fire along the 3200 block of  Hanes Avenue in Richmond. The fire was marked under control at about 6:50 a.m.

Richmond fire crews battle an apartment fire on Hanes Ave.

Richmond fire crews battle an apartment fire on Hanes Ave.

It is unclear at this time how many people were displaced due to the fire. The Red Cross has not yet been called to assist, according to the Richmond Fire Department.

The apartment building is located near the intersection of Hanes and West Gladstone Ave. on the city’s Northside.

The building has been condemned until Dominion Virginia Power can restore electricity for the other renters.



Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.