A comfortable night, turning hotter Sunday

Posted at 5:31 AM, Aug 19, 2023
and last updated 2023-08-20 05:07:59-04

RICHMOND, Va. -- Tonight will be another comfortable night with clear skies and low humidity. Overnight lows will be in the 50s and low 60s.

Sunday will be hotter and a little more humid, with afternoon highs in the low 90s. It will be very hot Monday with highs in the mid to upper 90s. The Richmond record high 96 from 1962. The heat index will exceed 100 at times.

Temperatures will dip into the 80s Wednesday before jumping back into the low 90s later in the week. Rain chances this week are minimal, with just a few storms possible by Thursday and Friday, and then again on Saturday.

Tropics: In the Pacific, Hurricane Hilary is now a category 1 hurricane located off the west coast of the Baja California Peninsula. It will track northward through Sunday, ultimately into southern California, where tropical storm warnings are in effect for the first time in California history. Flash flooding is a major threat, as some locations in southern California could see more rain than they typically experience over an entire year!

In the Atlantic, there's a new tropical depression (#6) located a bit over 800 east of the northern Leeward Islands. It's not expected to strengthen or last very long. A disturbance is located near the Bahamas and is expected to track west into the Gulf Of Mexico. It has a 50% chance of development over the next several days. Then there's one tropical wave moving into the Caribbean (70% chance of development), another in the east-central Atlantic (70% chance of development) and yet one more moving off the coast of Africa (30% chance of development). Things are really picking up and we'll keep you posted on further developments. More details are available in the CBS Hurricane Tracker.

Stay With CBS 6, The Weather Authority.


Weather Alerts
Closings & Delays
Interactive Radar
Map Center

📱 Download the new and improved CBS 6 Weather App foriPhoneand Android.

"Entertainment Tonight" on CBS 6

Watch 'Entertainment Tonight' weekdays at 7 p.m. followed by CBS 6 News at 7:30 p.m.

📱 Download new and improved CBS 6 Weather App
The app features customizable Severe Weather Alerts, Interactive Radar, Lightning Detector, video reports our from CBS 6 Meteorologists and more.