RICHMOND, Va. -- The Virginia Department of Health is expanding its partnership with Walgreens to offer free rapid COVID-19 testing across the Commonwealth.
Fifteen Walgreens locations, including one in Richmond, will now offer the Abbott BinaxNOW rapid antigen test, up from four locations previously.
“We are pleased to announce the expansion of this public-private partnership following a successful pilot with four Walgreens locations,” said Dr. Parham Jaberi, VDH Public Health and Preparedness deputy commissioner. “Our continued partnership will help ensure increased access to COVID-19 testing at no cost for some of our communities that lack a fixed testing location or have higher rates of vulnerable populations.”
The locations will operate drive-thru COVID-19 testing where Walgreens pharmacy teams will oversee the patient’s self-administration of the COVID-19 test, where test results will be processed at the pharmacy and provided within 24 hours.
"VDH encourages the use of these tests for individuals who are symptomatic, those who have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, those at high risk of illness or complications and essential employees such as educators, childcare providers and healthcare providers," said a department spokesperson in a release.
COVID-19 testing will be available by appointment to adults and children age 3 and older who meet screening criteria to receive a test.
Appointments can be made here.
The 15 Walgreens COVID-19 testing locations are listed below:
- Chesapeake: 1168 George Washington Hwy North
- Collinsville: 3590 Virginia Ave
- Fairfax (Centreville): 13926 Lee Hwy
- Giles (Pearisburg): 121 North Main St
- Lee (Pennington Gap): 5261 US Hwy 421
- North Dinwiddie: 26036 Cox Rd
- Northumberland (Callao): 17422 Richmond Rd.
- Patrick (Stuart): 140 South Main St.
- Pulaski: 901 Memorial Dr.
- Pulaski (Dublin): 240 Broad St.
- Richmond: 4845 Laburnum Ave
- Rockingham (Timberville): 14111 Timber Way
- Shenandoah (Woodstock): 120 West Reservoir Rd.
- South Boston: 3220 Halifax Rd
- Suffolk: 118 West Constance Rd.