RICHMOND, Va. -- Black smoke was seen billowing from the top the 26-story SunTrust building in downtown Richmond Sunday evening.
Firefighters were called to SunTrust Plaza just before 5 p..m. after an air conditioning unit atop the building malfunctioned, causing the thick, black smoke.
Fire officials said it took crews about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire.
There is no word yet on how much damage the fire caused, but officials said the unit has extensive damage.
No one was injured.
Fire on the SunTrust building in downtown #RVA is out, per @RFDVA.— Jake Burns (@JakeBurnsCBS6) May 10, 2020
-AC/handler unit malfunctioned
-extensive damage to the unit
It was called in as a 2nd alarm automatically because of the high rise building factor, we're told. @CBS6 pic.twitter.com/WBIThijl0G