CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- Six high school seniors in Chesterfield County were honored with scholarships at a Black History Month Business Breakfast on Monday.
Chesterfield County Public Schools and Virginia State University honored the seniors with "Leadership for the 21st Century Scholarships" at the annual Black History Month Business Breakfast and Scholarship Recognition, which was rescheduled from its original date of February 21.
This year’s scholarship essay asked the students to examine the national Black History Month theme “African Americans and the Vote” and the struggle for voting rights today.
Six winners were awarded $2,500 scholarships, with one winner selected from each of the county’s five magisterial districts and the sixth chosen from one of the regional governor schools.
The scholarship recipients were:
- Taiwo Adepoju, Meadowbrook High School
- Austin Ray Booth, Clover Hill High School
- Daniel J. Faulkner, Matoaca High School
- Alexandra Murias Roman, Midlothian High School
- Moserah Nkosi, Maggie Walker Governor’s School
- Nyota Patel, Thomas Dale High School