Actions

Massive fire guts thrift store in Petersburg

Posted at 11:05 PM, Feb 12, 2016

PETERSBURG, Va. -- A massive fire gutted a thrift store in Petersburg Friday night.

Firefighters were called to the Southern Bell Consignment & Thrift Store in the 900 block of east Wythe Street in Petersburg just after 10:20 p.m.

When firefighters arrived just before 10:30 p.m., photos show intense flames and thick plumes of smoke coming from the building

Four workers were inside when the fire broke out, but officials said they managed to get out safely.

The blaze was marked under control just before 12:25 a.m., but a crew will remain on the scene overnight.

An investigation into what sparked the blaze will begin Saturday morning.

Stick with WTVR.com and watch CBS 6 News from 6 to 8 a.m. for updates on this developing story.

If you have photos or videos of the fire, add them to our Facebook page or email pics@wtvr.com from your phone.

CBS6-News-at-4pm-and-Jennifer-Hudson-480x360.jpg

Entertainment

Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.