Dog rescued from fan vent fire in Henrico

Posted at 3:33 PM, Nov 02, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-02 15:38:30-05

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — Henrico County Fire responded to the 300 block of E Washington Ave. off Airport Drive in Henrico County’s East End for a house fire.

Crews arrived at around 1:10 Monday afternoon. First arriving units reported smoke coming from the single story house. Once inside crews found a fire inside the bathroom area. The fire was marked under control at 01:28 p.m.

The owner came home to find his smoke alarm going off and his home filled with smoke. He was able to get his dog out of the house.

Fire crews administered oxygen to the dog at the scene to assist with his recovery. There were no injuries reported due to the fire.

Officials said the cause of the fire was accidental and attributed to a bathroom ventilation fan. They said these fans can be the source of a fire due to the accumulation of lint. They should be cleaned on a regular basis to reduce the risk of fire.

Henrico County Fire gave some tips on things to know about bathroom vent fans:

Older units don’t have thermal protection which means they can overheat when the motor becomes overwhelmed.

Consider replacing older vent fans with one that has thermal protection.

Consider installing a timer for vent fans so that they do not run for extended periods of time.

The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are Working For You.

Contact the CBS 6 Problem Solvers

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.