Police comfort mother whose son was killed in shootout with officers

Posted at 12:05 PM, Aug 06, 2015

RICHMOND, Va. -- While the mother of slain Richmond shooting suspect Ke'Shawn Hargrove asked for calm while police investigated Wednesday's officer-involved shooting, some in the neighborhood just south of the Fan pressed police for an explanation. Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham released more details about the shooting during a 1 p.m. briefing.

The chief said Hargrove, 20, was killed and nine-year Richmond Police Department veteran Ryan Bailey was injured in an exchange of gunfire late Wednesday afternoon. Hargrove, he said, suffered a single gunshot wound. It was not clear whether Officer Bailey or his partner fired the fatal shot.

The officers were called to the 2100 block of West Cary Street Wednesday when someone reported a man with a gun. When the officers arrived, the man ran. During the foot pursuit, gunfire was exchanged, according to witnesses.

"They started shooting back and forth," witness Luis Ambriz said. "They were maybe 12 or 15 feet away from each other."

He said after Bailey was shot, the officer's partner returned fire and hit the suspect. Ambriz said both officers made their way back to the suspect and tried to help him by rendering CPR. Hargrove died at the scene.

Outside in the neighborhood where Hargrove lived, some friends and family questioned Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham about the number of shots fired during the deadly exchange of gunfire.

"Excuse me," Hargrove's mother said interrupting the exchange.  "Can you let me talk to the major and the chief of police please? We're going to get answers and we're going to get the correct answers... we have to let them do their job."

The woman walked off and spoke with Chief Durham and Major Drew. The police leaders embraced the grieving woman as they spoke.

Richmond police comfort mother of suspect shot by officers.

Richmond police comfort mother of suspect shot by officers.

Ke'Shawn Hargrove did have previous convictions. In 2011, he was convicted of malicious wounding and sentenced to 10 years in prison with 10 years suspended. He was sentenced to fives years in prison after he was convicted of possession of a firearm by a felon. Hargrove has released from prison in April 2015, according to the Department of Corrections.

This is a developing story.



Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.