RICHMOND, Va. -- A man was critically injured after a home went up in flames on Richmond's Southside Friday afternoon.
Fire crews were called to a home in the 500 block of Duffton Road just before 1:25 p.m.
When firefighters arrived, they saw heavy smoke and flames coming from a window air conditioner unit.
Crews made an initial sweep of the home, but did not find anyone inside. But during a second sweep, firefighters discovered a man inside the home.
Richmond Ambulance Authority crews responded to the "rush call" and arrived within four minutes, according to spokesperson Mark Tenia.
The victim, described as a man in his 30s, was in critical condition at a nearby hospital at last check Friday evening.
Investigators are working to find out what sparked the fire.
"They're trying not to disturb any evidence that may be inside," Capt. Chris Armstrong with Richmond Fire said. "What they are doing in their right now is looking for burn patterns and any other things... before they come in and check any additional information to remove anything that may still be charring inside."
As of 5 p.m., investigators appeared to be wrapping their investigation more than three hours after they were called to the home.
This is a developing story, so anyone with more information can submit a news tip here. If you see breaking news, and can do so safely, shoot a photo or video and send it to CBS 6. You can also upload photos to our Facebook page or email email@example.com from your phone.