VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The push to vaccinate more Virginians is more prevalent than ever, with 2,792 cases reported since Friday. Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Chesapeake each are reporting more than a hundred new cases.
New Hope Baptist Church in Virginia Beach church is getting the vaccine in more people’s arms, offering the first and second shots of the COVID-19 vaccine as well as the COVID booster shot for immune compromised individuals.
“What we do is aim to be beacon of light to the community so hosting these clinics is just what our ministry portrays in being the hands that feed Jesus and that beacon of light,” Minister Jessica Simmons said, a New Hope Baptist Church minister and vaccine organizer.
One Virginia Beach high school student who received his first shot of the Phizer’s vaccine says the vaccine is needed to save lives.
“I’ll be trying to stay as safe as possible until this whole thing is finally over,” William Borba said, a student at Green Run High School.
William will be going to the 9th grade this fall at Green Run High School in Virginia Beach.
“I’m hoping that since now I got the vaccine, I can actually go to school and be doing better while being safe.” Borba said.
William did virtual learning all last year and will be returning to in-person classes for the first time in more than a year.
“I’m happy for him to get vaccinated. He’s about to go to school and it’s pretty scary to have COVID around and it’s getting dangerous again,” Heidi Jay said, William’s mother.
Only 56 percent of Virginia’s population is vaccinated, that’s 9,761,485 Virginians who have been vaccinated.
According to the CDC, the COVID-19 vaccine reduces the risk of infection by 91 percent.
“Those who are vaccinated tend to have a better chance of not having the severe symptoms if they do catch COVID,” Minister Simmons said.
New Hope Baptist Church partnered with the Virginia Department of Health to host the clinic.
💉WTVR.COM IN-DEPTH: COVID-19 in Virginia
- Northam orders universal masking in Virginia schools
- How Virginia schools handle COVID exposures; which students should quarantine
- As delta variant spreads, wear masks, get vaccinated, Virginia health officials warn
- Updated map lets you check COVID-19 vaccination rates where you live
- What happens if school districts don't follow CDC mask guidance?
- Waitlist grows for Henrico Virtual Academy
- FDA, CDC looking into vaccine boosters for immunocompromised
- Study: Breakthrough cases of COVID-19 are rare
- Virginia DOC to reopen visitation at state correctional facilities
- New tool from VDH will allow businesses to verify vaccination status
- Avula: Full FDA approval will be a 'game-changer'
- Researchers examining spike in deaths that were not COVID-related
- A timeline of the COVID-19 pandemic in Virginia