RICHMOND, Va. – The Richmond-area Muslim community issued a statement hours after a mass shooting in Orlando — the most fatal in America’s history — that killed 50 people and injured scores more.
Their statement is below:
The entire Muslim Community in the Greater Richmond Region condemns the gruesome and barbaric attack in Orlando and offers their heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of all those killed or injured. We join our fellow Americans in repudiating anyone or any group that would claim to justify or excuse such an appalling act of violence and terror.
In this holy month of Ramadan, a month of compassion, worship, generosity and mercy, we pray to God that He hasten the day when all people will live together in understanding, harmony, and peace.
The statement was signed by:
- Islamic Center of Virginia
- Islamic Center of Richmond
- Islamic Center of Henrico
- West-End Islamic Center
- TriCities Islamic Center
- Muslim Community Center of Chesterfield
- Muslim Students Association of VCU
- Muslim Students Association of University of Richmond
- Virginia Muslim Coalition for Public Affairs
- Iqra Academy of Virgina
- Al Madina School of Richmond