Smoke alarm saves Henrico family in overnight blaze

Posted at 10:33 AM, Dec 28, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-28 10:33:37-05

HENRICO, Va – An overnight fire at a Henrico home started in a kitchen wall, according to fire officials.

The fire department responded to a home in the 6700 block of Wilbur Circle, at 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

The first units on scene found a small fire burning through the side of a medium sized single family home.

The fire originated in the downstairs kitchen wall and the cause was accidental, said Cpt. Daniel Rosenbaum.

All occupants were awakened and alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm. The alarm is what helped them get out of the home on their own, Rosenbaum said.

One occupant was treated on scene for smoke inhalation, but did not require transportation to the hospital.

The fire was quickly extinguished by fire crews, minutes after arrival.

Because the smoke alarm alerted the family early, and the fire department was able to quickly extinguish the blaze, Rosenbaum said there was very minor smoke and fire damage done to the residence.

The occupants will not be displaced from their home.

Four engine companies, two specialty service units, one fire medic unit, and two battalion chiefs were assigned to the call for service.

“Smoke alarms not only save lives they catch fires when they are still small and can be extinguished with minimal damage,” said Rosenbaum. “This fire is a good reminder for everyone to frequently test their smoke alarm for proper operation and change the batteries frequently.”

The CBS 6 Problem Solvers are Working For You.

Contact the CBS 6 Problem Solvers

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.