NewsLocal News

Actions

3 adults, 7 children displaced in fire that started with a vacuum cleaner

Default-Image_1280x720.jpg
Posted at 2:56 PM, Nov 23, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-23 16:10:02-05

HENRICO, Va. – Three adults and seven children were displaced by a fire Monday afternoon.

Attic fire on Forestford Road. PHOTO: Henrico Fire

Attic fire on Forestford Road. PHOTO: Henrico Fire

Firefighters responded quickly to the fire in the 3900 block of Forestford Road, off Hungary Road. The call came in at 12:42 p.m., and Captain Daniel Rosenbaum said crews were on scene within three minutes.

Smoke was seen coming from the attic.

“The fire crews made a quick attack on the fire and it was halted at the attic area and prevented from extending to the rest of the house,” Rosenbaum said.  “The majority of the fire was knocked down within minutes, saving much of the home.”

Attic fire on Forestford Road. PHOTO: Henrico Fire

Attic fire on Forestford Road. PHOTO: Henrico Fire

The fire was determined to have been accidental in nature and caused by an electrical problem in the home.  An occupant was home and began to vacuum.  She noted fire coming from the electrical panel in the home, which quickly traveled to the attic, according to firefighters.

There was no major damage but a family will be displaced temporarily. The attic area of the home had moderate smoke and fire damage but due to the quick knockdown the interior of the home had very little damage.

The American Red Cross has been called for assistance with their temporary needs.