RICHMOND, Va. -- Restaurant owners in Richmond are getting a unique opportunity to share space in The Valentine rent-free for two years.
The Metropolitan Business League, in partnership with The Valentine, the Richmond Black Restaurant Experience, and Hatch Kitchen is holding the Main Course, a competition for the museum's next food vendor.
Applicants must submit a 60-second video pitch explaining why they deserve the space.
One grand prize winner will be selected and they won't have to worry about paying rent for the first couple of years.
"Many people talk about the need to help minority-owned businesses, but the Valentine Museum actually puts forth action to meet the needs," Floyd Miller, President and CEO of the Metropolitan Business League, said. "Their action is a testament to the caring nature of our community and how vitally important it is to lend a helping hand, during a very critical period."
The grand prize also includes a business strategy session and an interview with Richmond Magazine.
“The Valentine is excited to collaborate with our friends at the Metropolitan Business League to host this region-wide competition. Working with fantastic partners like the MBL to offer opportunities and experiences like this to the Richmond community is an integral part of our mission. We are committed to supporting new businesses in Richmond and creating new opportunities downtown,” Valentine Museum Director Bill Martin said.
You can submit an application here between Monday, November 30 through Friday, December 4 here.
- Minority-owned business
- Current restaurant, food truck business or catering business owner looking to expand operations OR make a pivot in operations due to Covid-19
- Operating for a minimum of 2 years in business in the Richmond Region (City of Richmond, Chesterfield County, Henrico County, Hanover County)
- Must present a copy of your health permit
- Must present a copy of your State Corporation Commission Certificate
- Present a 60- second pitch expressing at least 2 of the following:
- Why your business would be a good fit as the next tenant/ vendor to occupy the café space at the Valentine Museum
- Why you are ready as a business owner to expand your business
- Why this opportunity would be a great pivot in operations for your business
- Describe your cuisine type
Virginia Together: The Rebound Richmond campaign is here to help. Find information on who is hiring, investigations into unemployment payment issues, financial advice on making ends meet, and mental health advice on managing the pressures. These stories will be featured often on CBS 6 News and can be found by clicking this link.