HANOVER COUNTY Va. -- Hanover County will offer thousands of free meals to county residents on Friday.
Those pre-packaged meals will be handed out at John M. Gandy Elementary School and Mechanicsville Elementary School between 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
The food program is different from the program offering meals to Hanover County Public Schools students.
The Central Virginia COVID-19 Response Fund provided a grant to the Hanover Education Foundation working with the Hanover County Government and Hanover Public Schools.
Those funds will provide 12,500 meals for people in Hanover.
Residents in need of food can drive through designated lanes at one of the two locations where food kits are being handed out, without having to get out of their cars. That way, it will require as little human contact as possible.
The kits are filled with ready-to-eat chicken salad, a tortilla, a bag of chips, granola bar, trail mix, a fruit roll-up, and a juice box.
Depending on the demand, the county said they may schedule additional dates for meal pick-ups as long as supplies last.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.Avoid non-essential travel.