RICHMOND, Va. -- One day after Gov. Ralph Northam said he would look into the decision to grant parole to a man convicted of killing a Richmond police officer, we have learned the inmate’s release date is being pushed back.
Vincent Martin was expected to be released from the Nottoway Correctional Center on April 30, but multiple sources told Crime Insider Jon Burkett that the release date has been moved to May 11.
Martin was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of patrolman Michael Connors in 1979, but as WTVR CBS 6 was first to report, four out of five members of the state parole board recently voted to set him free.
Connors’ family and members of police and law enforcement groups are asking the governor to intervene, but the outgoing parole board chair has said the decision is binding and final.
However, Connors’ sister said she does not believe she has been given enough time to respond to the board’s decision, as required by law.
Sources told Burkett that all discretionary paroles have now been placed on hold until May 11.
Did parole board err in case of officer's killer?
Letters from law enforcement agencies all over the state have been emailed to Virginia Governor Ralph Northam because Vincent Martin, a man who killed Richmond Police Officer Michael Connors in 1979, could be just two weeks away from release.
Governor Northam was asked Friday if he would intervene.
“I'll be happy to look at, it but my plate has been kind of full with this pandemic, but I'll be happy to look at it," Northam said at his Friday press briefing.
Martin was denied parole just a year ago because the board said they feared he would not comply with the rules of his release.
But then recently, Officer Michael Connor's family learned the man who executed their loved one would indeed be set free.
Secretary of Public Safety Brian Moran said to his knowledge, the letter of the law was followed.
"We asked ‘was the process followed?’ and they assured us it was,” Moran said. “The case was not expedited because of the space need for COVID-19 cases, and I also asked if the victim’s family was notified and allowed to give input. I was assured they were," Moran said.
The gray area, however, hovers around Virginia Code 53.1-155. It says the victim’s family shall have 45 days to present written or oral testimony to the board.
Michael Connors’ family said they received a letter in early March and got a phone call from Parole Board Chair Adrianne Bennett on March 25.
The family said they weren't allowed to say much of anything on that call, and got word from Bennett that Martin's parole was pretty much a done deal.
Their question though, was, when did the 45-day ticker start?
"They were communicated with and input was received during the 45 days," said Moran.
"As far as the days, I know the family had been notified,” said Northam. “But as for the actually timing, I'm not aware. But I can look into that."
Former prosecutor criticizes parole granted officer's killer: 'It was a flat out execution'
Martin has been serving a life sentence for the murder of Patrolman Connors.
Connors was shot multiple times near the VCU campus on November 13, 1979.
The shooting occurred after Connors pulled over a vehicle that was traveling the wrong way down a one-way street. Inside that car were Martin and a group of accomplices who had just robbed a 7-Eleven store near the intersection of Madison and Grace, in the city's Monroe Ward neighborhood.
Connors, unaware of the robbery, was shot in the neck after approaching the vehicle. Investigators said Martin then stood over the dying officer and fired several more shots into his head.
"It was a flat out execution," said Stacy Garrett, who prosecuted the case. "The medical examiner testified that during the autopsy, she removed bits and pieces of gravel and stone that were in his face because of the force of the gun shots... it's just something you never forget."
Both Connors and Martin were just 23 years old at the time of the killing.
At trial, he was found guilty of capital murder and sentenced to death.
Martin appealed, and the Supreme Court of Virginia ordered that a new trial take place.
The second jury also found him guilty, but spared him the death penalty, instead sentencing Martin to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
Parole has been denied every time that Martin has gone before the board, until earlier this month, when four members cast an affirmative vote, the super majority required to grant Martin's release, given the serious nature of his crime.
"[The Board] takes every possible precaution to ensure that a person is ready, and prepared for success prior to granting release," said VPB Chair Adrianne Bennett in a statement posted on the Board's website. "This decision was no different, and the Board stands firmly behind its grant of parole to Vincent Martin."
Bennett said that the Board has spent years researching the case and reviewing the facts, and that they concluded that Martin's conviction was based primarily on the "conflicting testimony" of the three cooperating co-defendants, who she said all had violent felony convictions on their records.
Garrett strongly disagrees with that assertion. He said it was clear that Martin was the gunman.
According to Bennett, Martin has also been a model prisoner during his decades behind bars, saying that she has been told by a DOC employee that he has served as a "role model, mentor, father, brother, cadre and guiding light" to both staff and inmates.
But just last year, the Parole Board reached a much different conclusion when Martin's case was brought before them.
According to a document on the Board's website, Martin was denied parole in January 2019.
Among the reasons listed were the serious nature of the offense, Martin's extensive criminal record, and a history of violence. There was also concern about what might happen if Martin were to be released.
"Your prior failure(s) and/or convictions while under community supervision indicate that you are unlikely to comply with conditions of release," the document read.
When Martin was denied parole in 2018, the board also noted that he had been convicted of a new crime while incarcerated.
Connors's family and several current and former Richmond-area police officers tell CBS 6 that the news of Martin's parole has been painful, and difficult to process.
"It was disappointing and devastating when we heard it, on Good Friday of all days," Maureen Clements, Connors's sister, said. "But it was almost something we expected."
Clements said that Learned Barry, a longtime member of the Richmond Commonwealth's Attorney's Office, told her that this is the worst miscarriage of justice he has seen in 40 years.
While the man who took Martin to trial twice says the Board's decision is a slap in the face to law enforcement.
"We have five people, four of whom said the life of a police officer is not worth a whole hell of a lot," said Garrett.
"This has been a Parole Board unafraid of making tough decisions," said Brian Moran, Virginia's Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security.
"Clearly the pain and anguish is being relived all over again 40 years later. Our hearts go out to the family, the Richmond Police Department and those who knew [Connors], and even those who didn't know him. Those in law enforcement are a tight knit community. I understand there's anguish and they're upset. We appreciate and respect the work they do, it's unfortunate, but a decision the Parole Board stands by."
Connors's family and friends are now hoping that someone stops Martin from being released, and there is a letter-writing campaign underway, asking the governor to intervene.
But it appears that is unlikely, and in fact, he might not even have the authority. Bennett says the Board's decision is final and not subject to reversal or appeal.