NewsLocal News

Actions

House fire caused by space heater leaves one dead in Dinwiddie County

Fatal House Fire.jpg
Posted at 12:49 PM, Feb 16, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-16 16:15:53-05

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. -- Fire officials said a space heater that was too close to combustibles led to a fatal house fire Monday night in Dinwiddie County.

Firefighters from Dinwiddie and Chesterfield responded to the home, located in the 6000 block of Boydton Plank Road.

Officials said one person was killed in the fire. That's person name has not been released.

Another person was outside the home when fire crews arrived.

The Red Cross is assisting that person, officials said.

Firefighters reminded the public to turn off appliances when the power goes out, so when power is restored, things like food won't catch fire on the stove.