GOOCHLAND COUNTY, Va. -- After previously announcing they would not open, the Goochland Drive- In Theater has announced a date for their 2020 opening with new precautions in place.
"[We] want to thank you guys for the overwhelmingly amazing amount of support these last few weeks," said GDIT on Facebook. "Both our Facebook and email have literally been flooded with forwarded links to stories about the drive-ins that are open around the country."
The GDIT initially delayed their opening but then made the decision to not open for the 2020 season. However with the support of guests and the implementation of new safety precautions GDIT will open May 1st.
The theater has the approval of the Virginia Health Department, the Governor's Office and Goochland Commonwealth Attorney's Office to open.
Here's a list of changes guests can expect:
PAYMENT - NO CONTACT
* Purchase tickets online
(no exchange of money at Ticket Booth)
* Limiting to parking capacity to 50%
* Vehicles parked 12ft (or more) apart
* Watch show from inside vehicle
FOOD & DRINKS
* Snack Bar closed - for now
* Ok to bring in your own food/drinks - for now
* No alcohol ever
PLAYGROUND & PUBLIC AREAS
* Closed for now
* No socializing for now
* Limit to 2 people at a time
* Markers keeping folks 10ft apart outside
* Restrooms cleaned constantly
* Doors opened - no touch
* NEW -- touch-free faucets and flush valves on toilets & urinals
* Always welcome
* Avoid potty breaks - but if needed - please walk pets along perimeter of property (as always) keeping ample distance from others
"Opening in this manner will not offer the regular GDIT experience - but will provide an approved, safe option for families to get out of the house," they posted on Facebook. "Beyond the proper approvals, most of the measures we have taken have been self-imposed. In fact, some of these temporary guidelines exceed the CDC recommendations."