CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. -- NASCAR great and Chesterfield native Denny Hamlin helped provide 60,000 meals to the Chesterfield Food Bank.
"Thinking of everyone at home during this time," Hamlin tweeted about the donation made in conjunction with his sponsor FedEx.
The Chesterfield Food Bank serves nearly 2,000 people a week through its various programs. It focuses on people and families who " have fallen through the cracks of our governmental social services programs and our community."
"Knowing that Denny Hamlin not only cares about those in need in his hometown, but that he is stepping up to take action is happy news for our staff, our volunteers and especially those who in need during this difficult time," Chesterfield Food Bank Executive Director Kim Hill said.
To learn more about the Chesterfield Food Bank or to donate, click here.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.Avoid non-essential travel.