RICHMOND, Va. -- If you want to shop inside an ABC store, you need to wear a mask, Virginia ABC announced Friday.
The new policy, effective Monday, is aimed to slow the spread of COVID-19 by stepping up enforcement of the face mask requirement in its stores.
Virginia ABC had previously required all customers to wear a face mask, but now the store will deny entry to any customer not wearing a mask.
In a release, Virginia ABC says they will "make every attempt" to provide a mask to customers who arrive without one.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Avoid non-essential travel.