One injured in house fire that ignited from heat lamp on porch

Posted at 4:24 PM, Dec 16, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-16 19:02:11-05

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. – One person was injured trying to extinguish a fire that ignited overnight in Dinwiddie.

The blaze ignited at 4:20 a.m., on Friday, December 16, according to fire officials.

The first unit arrived to find heavy smoke showing from the home in the 21000 block of Courthouse Road.

Dinwiddie fire

Crews worked to extinguish a significant amount of fire in the attic space and the rear porch.

The cause of the fire was a heat lamp that was being used to provide heat for two of the family’s dogs on the back porch of the residence, fire officials said.

Occupants were awakened and alerted to the fire by another dog that was inside the residence. All of the dogs are uninjured.

Dinwiddie fire

One occupant of the home received a burn injury while trying to extinguish the fire prior to fire department arrival, but is expected to be okay.

The residents are being assisted by family and friends at this time.

There were no injuries reported to firefighters.



Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.