RICHMOND, Va. -- Richmond is known for its streets and avenues, like Monument (of course) Cary and Broad.
Most of you know your way around this town, right?
But how well do you know the city's 3,000 alleys, totaling some 200 largely hidden miles?
Mostly gone are the days when many city alleys were dangerous places, where bad things happened.
Lighting and security cameras have become much more common.
So join me in a video tour of some of Richmond's hidden gems:
- An alley park with a hobo name that has become one of the hippest places to hang out and garden.
- A "nutty" alley that has seen some of the coolest shows in town.
- The tidy alley named for one of Richmond's most rugged and beloved preservationists.
- A Jackson Ward alley that has a hidden but healthy honeybee hive.
- The man who crosses R Street from his home to sit in the mouth of the alley - all day, every day.