HANOVER, Va. – There will be multiple road closures during the Elite Men’s Individual Time Trial race event on Wednesday, Sept. 23, which runs through Hanover and Henrico Counties, finishing the 32.9 mile distance in Richmond, at the Fifth and Broad Street finish line.
Hanover and Henrico Counties School are out for the day.
Race is from 1 p.m. to 3:35 p.m. The Fan Zones are at King’s Dominion and 3rd and Marshall Streets.
You can get results on the official UCI page.
Racers start at Kings Dominion, part of which opens to the public for free at 10 a.m., and cyclists speed past Meadow Event Park, home to the State Fair of Virginia and birthplace of thoroughbred racing legend Secretariat. Then they head south on long, open straights past the Hanover County Courthouse.
Long hills on Brook and Wilkinson roads bring the racers back into the city through Virginia Union University before turning into downtown. Nearly half the turns of the entire route fall within the closing kilometers, the second to last of which is onto the 300-meter-long climb up Governor Street. At the top, riders turn left and face 680 meters to the finish.
King’s Dominion lot (start)
Rural Point Road
Richmond Henrico Turnpike
E. Laburnum Avenue
N. Lombardy Street
W. Broad Street
N. 2nd Street
E. Main Street
E. Broad Street
Large area of eastern Hanover County, Northside, downtown
Wednesday, September 23 from approximately Noon-5 p.m.
- I-95 north/south Exit 74C ramps to Broad Street (closed to westbound traffic)
- Note: this is a continuous closure Sept. 19-27
- I-295 north/south Exit 41B ramps to Chamberlayne Avenue (Route 301) south will be closed.
- Kings Dominion Boulevard/Dawn Boulevard/Route 30 east will be closed from Kings Dominion to Route 301. Passenger vehicle traffic can use Old Dawn Road (Route 651) to Concord Road and Signboard Road west. Truck traffic can use Route 301 towards Caroline County to Rogers Clark Boulevard (Route 207)
- Hanover Courthouse Road (Route 301) will be closed between the Caroline County line and Georgetown Road (Route 651).
- Traffic will be limited on the following routes in Hanover during this time: Baylor Road (Route 651), Riva Ridge Road (Route 652), Meadow Farm Road (Route 652), Sadie Lane (Route 725), Quash Lane, Middlebrook Drive, Signboard Road (Route 652), Gregory Road (Route 662), Concord Road (Route 602), Mt. Gideon Road (Route 651), Secretariat Road and Todd Lane. Drivers can use the posted local detours.
Due to the continuous ramp closures of Exit 74C from I-95 north and south, drivers are encouraged to use the following alternate routes:
- To the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) area: Take Exit 75 (I-64 east/3rd Street).
- To the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) campus/Fan area: Take Exit 78 (the Boulevard) south to Cary Street (Route 147).
- To the Capitol area: Take Exit 73 (Maury Street) and follow the posted detour.
- To Shockoe area: From I-95 north, take Exit 74C (E. Broad Street).
Fan zones: King’s Dominion and 3rd and Marshall Streets
Also, the Hanover Bike Fest is expecting a large crowd. Details here about it.
While Fan Zones are great places to watch the races, here are some additional spots along the course that offer great views:
- Hanover Street Courthouse
- Monroe Park
- Monument Avenue
- Governor Street
- The turn at South 2nd and Main Streets
- The beer garden at 12th and Broad Street has the homestretch view, and there are food trucks there, and also near the finish line. More details here, but click that image to enlarge, and it should work great!
Where: FanFest 2015, yards from the Finish
When: Wednesday, 9/23 | 4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Click here for the printable day-by-day view of Fan Zones: Where to view UCI races and Fan Zones
The printable version for shuttle information is here: SHUTTLE SCHEDULE AND SATELLITE PARKING
The WTVR.com/UCI page is where all bike-race related stories land.
- UCI PICS: How to share your race pics
- Parking rates slashed after city streets aren’t clogged up by race
- How Boston Marathon bombing shaped security for UCI races in Richmond
- Watch UCI races without leaving the house
- Where to find the 41 Richmond food trucks and get beer at UCI races
- Visit Kings Dominion for free on the day a UCI race starts there
- How to grab the best view during UCI Road World Championship races
- Times, closures, fan zones and courses for Richmond 2015 bike races
- Family guide for Richmond 2015 UCI Road World Championship races
- Richmond events surrounding the UCI Road World Championships
- These four city blocks along Broad Street are closing, don’t freak out
- How to get to Richmond 2015 via vehicle, shuttle, bike or mass transit
- Why Pop-Up RVA signs are popping up in empty downtown storefronts
- Temporary foot bridges up at VCU ahead of UCI Road World Championships
- Richmond 2015 bike race unlimited GRTC bus pass now on sale
- MAPS: A look at the 2015 UCI Road World Championships routes through Richmond