Vent fan fire delays dismissal for Godwin High students

Posted at 4:04 PM, Mar 23, 2015
and last updated 2015-03-23 17:12:26-04

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- A fire that broke out in a ceiling vent fan at Godwin High School Monday afternoon evacuated the school and delayed dismissal for students.

Henrico firefighters were called to the single-alarm blaze around 3:40 p.m. Crews found heavy smoke and flames shooting from a vent fan in a hallway.

Smoke was also concentrated in the hallway near the vents since the building's fire doors closed when the alarm sounded.

It took about 10 minutes for firefighters to mark the blaze under control.

Officials said the fire happened right around the time school was scheduled to end for the day.

However, the fire forced everyone inside to evacuate. Students and staffers were let back inside the building around 4:15 p.m. before being dismissed around 4:45 p.m.

There has been no word yet on the extent of the damage, but firefighters said an electrical issue sparked the fire.

A student tweeted a photo of firetrucks outside the school.

Stay with CBS 6 News and watch CBS 6 News for updates on this developing story.