Family escapes after kitchen candle sparks Henrico house fire

Posted at 7:35 AM, Dec 18, 2014

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Two adults and two children escaped unharmed after a candle left burning in the kitchen sparked a house fire early Thursday morning in Glen Allen.

Henrico fire crews were called to the 4100 block of Old Springfield Rd, off Mountain Road, at about 5:31 a.m.

Kitchen fire on Olde Springfield Road (PHOTO: Henrico Fire)

Kitchen fire on Olde Springfield Road (PHOTO: Henrico Fire)

"First arriving units found fire coming from the kitchen of the two-story house," Henrico Fire spokesman Capt. Danny Rosenbaum said. "All occupants were able to make it out the home uninjured. The family was woken by the smoke detector in the home."

The fire was marked under control in about 10 minutes.

"The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental in nature and started in the kitchen of the house. A lit candle in the kitchen is believed to have caused the fire," Rosenbaum said. "Smoke detectors save lives. Check your smoke detectors on a regular basis to ensure they will work properly and change the batteries twice a year."



Watch 'The Jennifer Hudson Show' weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 6!

📱 Download CBS 6 News App
The app features breaking news alerts, live video, weather radar, traffic incidents, closings and delays and more.