HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — Henrico HAZMAT teams responded to the Department of Environmental Quality offices along Cox Road in Innsbrook after two test tubes shattered.
An “aromatic” chemical was released and prompted the HAZMAT response, Henrico Fire spokesman Capt. Danny Rosenbaum said.
The first chemical is believed to have been in the benzene family, Rosenbaum said. While there was no confirmation on the specific chemical, he said it was not considered a hazard.
Once the HAZMAT team cleaned up the initial spill, crews smelled what the thought was a gas leak in the area. Henrico Fire crews later said there was no gas leak and continued to investigate the source of the smell.
A secondary clean-up contractor was called in to conduct an air quality testing before building will be reopened.
All HAZMAT units left the offices at 4949 Cox Road at about 3:19 p.m.