If you post your #megsmiles video on YouTube, email a link to email@example.com so we can share your video on WTVR.com and CBS 6 News.
RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Tens of thousands of people around the world have pledged to run or walk this Saturday in honor of Meg Menzies. She is the Hanover mother hit and killed Monday while on a morning run.
In her memory, and to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving, people are encourage to go for a run this Saturday, January 18. Those who take part are asked to tweet, Instagram and post running photos using the hashtag #megsmiles.
Group runs are being posted on the Meg’s Miles Supporters Facebook page.
Here is a partial list of Central Virginia runs copied over from that page:
1. Bell Creek neighborhood 10am – Near the Food Lion off Pole Green Road. Go past the Food Lion, Bell Creek is ahead on your right. Meeting at the clubhouse @ 10 am.
2. Oak Knoll Middle School 9 -11am – We are meeting at the Hanover High track….wear blue or purple!
3. Kings Charter – Lakeside Pool 9am
4. Rutland – Rutland Pool 9:30am
5. Byrd Park Fountains at 9am ~ please wear purple!
6. Henrico County – River’s Edge Elementary School bus loop at 9am – Walk/Run/Cycle, wear purple! Going to Deep Run HS and back, approx 3 miles.
7. Patrick Henry YMCA on Ashcake Rd. @ 9:15AM – please wear blue!
8. Goochland YMCA, 8:30
9. Dogwood Dell at 7:45 and run with RRRC marathon training team
10. RRRC Advanced 10K team at the Westminster Presbyterian Church at Monument and Malvern, 8 am
11. Pole Green Park at 12 noon in Hanover County. Meeting at entrance/parking lot area of running trails behind the skateboard ramps. Please wear purple if you have it. Trail is appx. 3 miles, everyone is welcome to run or jog at your pace and you can add to the mileage it you want!
12. Sedgefield Neighborhood Watch Committee on Saturday Jan. 18th will hold walk in honor of #Megsmiles – Meet at our Sedgefield Office @ 10:00am where we will take up any donation’s for the family. We are asking if you would please bring Blue or Purple balloon to be released upon and the return walk in front of the Ashland Police department.. Sgt. Menzies has done so much for our community this is the least we can do to show our support for him and his family during this very difficult time. We welcome everyone from our community to join us or other communities within the area. infants in strollers,children of all ages,adults, please remember safety when you are walking or running on this day. The walk will be from our community to downtown Ashland and back to Sedgefield. I believe this is around 2.5 miles round trip.
13. Elwin Place – 10am (meet at Bucket Dr.)
14. Ashcreek Clubhouse two groups… 7:30am and 8:00am
15. Cedar Lea Park Pavillion @10….wear blue!
16. Color Me Badd (aka SGRR) Running Group to the list. We will be meeting at 7:30am. Will start at DefyGenetics (407 East Ellerslie Avenue Colonial Heights, Virginia 23834) and run Temple Ave, through Colonial Heights.
17. Hickory Hill Subdivision 10am; Meet at the corner of Wickham Manor Way and Wild Honeysuckle Lane; Kids welcomed for this walk/run/bike.
18. Hanover Courthouse Park 7:30am
19. Liberty Christian Church – 9am. Run/Walk around the church followed by a time of prayer.
20. Chesapeake VA – running around the Volvo Parkway/Independence business park while my son has an appointment – probably running about 9:30 am (right after he goes off to his doc) – just looping around. figuring out a 5K and 10K route this evening.
21.Pebble Creek Property 6069 Green Haven Dr, Mechanicsville, Virginia 8:00 am.
22. The RRRC group Advanced 10K has their first meeting on Saturday at 8 am at the Westminster Presbyterian Church on Monument and Malvern.
23. SMTT, meets at Byrd park, I think at 7:30, the same day.
24. Lakeview Pool in Kings Charter at 9 am.24.sports backers stadium at 8 Saturday morning
25. Meeting at King William fire department Saturday at 8
26. LYNCHBURG-Black Water Creek Trail (Greek Orthodox Church entrance) on Saturday at 8am for a run together
27. Richmond: Shamrock Half-marathon Training Team. Meet at City Stadium, 8AM. 10 Miles
28. Midlothian: Gold’s Gym Midlothian in Westchester Commons at noon (Gold’s is encouraging non-members to attend and will allow them a free workout to log miles for Meg on the treadmill if preferred.)
29. Chickahominy Middle School: Teachers, school staff, and members of the community are invited to meet it the parking lot at 9:00 AM…wear blue!
30. Brandermill-8:30am Saturday. 4-5 miles easy. Join us!
31. Bryan Park – Dog walk around the park. Meet at Shelter 1 at 9:30 a.m. Open to all walkers, dog or no dog.
32. Settlers Landing – 9 a.m. Saturday. 3 miles (loop will be plotted out; you can run more or less if you’d like). Walkers/strollers/dogs welcome! Meet at the Settlers Landing pool (end of Early Settlers or Wrens Nest roads off Robious)
33. CrossFit Addict- 11:30am Saturday, January 18th, 3.5 mile run, all paces are welcome. Come to 2256 Dabney Road, Suite H, Richmond Va 23230, WEAR BLUE!
34. #megsmiles Trail Run/Walk – Saturday. 8AM. Start/finish at the Pump House Drive trail head/parking area (immediately behind the Boulevard Bridge toll plaza). From Byrd Park, proceed toward the Boulevard Bridge. About 200′ before the toll plaza, turn right onto Pump House Drive. At the bottom of the hill, turn left into the parking area. Distances from 4 – 12 miles. Bring friends and family. Wear blue. Run with passion.
35. BRYAN PARK (Richmond) – SAT. 8:30AM – Peak Physique’s FREE Run Club. We have walking/jogging/running groups! All fitness levels are welcome! Meet at tennis court near shelter #1. #megsmiles
36. LIBBIE/GROVE Starbucks – Saturday 6:30 AM Up and back Grove Avenue. All paces welcome. Wear blue!
38. Twin Hickory – Shady Grove YMCA 7 am, 4 miles. Meet in the parking lot to the right of the building.
39. CARYTOWN STARBUCKS 8:15AM – Look for a group of girls wearing blue. The more the merrier!
40. “A Mile in Meg’s Shoes” event at Randolph-Macon College Football Field & Track, 103 E. Patrick Street, Ashland, Virginia 23005 at 9AM. The event will be led by Maria and Mike Harman, owners of Ashland’s TrainTown CrossFit (TTCF). This event is free and open to the public and will accommodate persons of all fitness levels.
41. Light of Human Kindness Wall (2400 W. Cary @ the old GRTC bus depot) – Meet at noon, wear blue if you have it. For people who can’t make one of the morning runs, but don’t want to miss out on honoring Meg. Three mile Davis/Floyd/Belvidere/Cary loop. Slow runners especially welcome.
42. Milothian, VA at Brandermill meeting at the Boat Dock at 9AM a group of us just doing a run at the pace that you are comfortable with – taking a picture before we run and one after all are done. We have a couple that are walking due to injury. So no matter your pace come on out and join us.
43. Atlee High School Track at 6am. Will start off with a small prayer before hand then the run
44. Ashland YMCA – A run will leave at noon and every hour after that until no one is left to run!
45. Bundle Of Joy Glen Allen location @ 11a.m.
46. FIT Richmond would like to open our gym up to all runners on Saturday from 8:30-12:30 to park, leave your belongings, use the rest rooms, fill water bottles, and head out to run together and “be grateful for that moment”. Our address is 4912 West Marshall Street, Richmond 23230 (right across from Willow Lawn, behind Shades of Light). Hope to see you Saturday! #megsmiles
47. 5K Run in Memory of Meg Cross Menzies – King William Fire & EMS Station #1 – 7:30 a.m.
48. 1 mile for #MegsMiles at Huguenot Park (10901 Robious Rd. North Chesterfield, VA 23235) at 8:30 a.m. Organizers said they are staying in the park, so kids and jog strollers are welcome. Please wear BLUE if you can.