FORT LEE, Va. (WTVR) – If the U.S. government shuts down Tuesday morning, all military personnel at Fort Lee would remain in a “normal duty status.”
However, many of the more than 5,000 Department of Defense civilian employees there would be temporarily furloughed, Stephen Baker with the Fort Lee Public Affairs Office wrote in an email.
Other changes, according to Baker, include:
- Fort Lee’s commissary will remain open one full business day Tuesday, the first day of the new fiscal year, to reduce the amount of perishables on-hand before closing, according to Defense Commissary Agency.
- All fitness centers except the MacLaughlin Fitness Center will be closed.
- All hunting on Fort Lee will be suspended.
- The privately owned weapons range will be closed.
- The Wednesday grand opening of a new Child Youth Center will be postponed.
- The annual Army Family Action Plan Conference scheduled here Tuesday-Thursday will be cancelled.
- These Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation programs and facilities will be closed: Outdoor Recreation, Leisure Travel Services, Army Community Library, Picture Perfect Frame Shop, Adventure Park and Auto Crafts.
- Army Community Service programs such as Survivor Outreach Services and the Exceptional Family Member Program will be closed; limited financial counseling services will be offered.
- The Army Education Center will remain open with limited services.
- Passport processing and forms and records support services at the Solider Support Center will be suspended.
- Services at the new Training Support Center will be limited.
- The U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum and U.S. Army Women’s Museum will remain open, but with reduced support for special services.