Fund established for “squirrel fire” family

Posted at 9:33 AM, Feb 19, 2013
and last updated 2013-02-19 09:37:02-05

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va (WTVR) – A fund is now established to help a Chesterfield family who lost their possessions in a house fire caused by squirrels.

You can donate to the Renita Gray and Jaron Walker Family Fire Disaster Relief Fund at any area Wells Fargo Bank.

The Newbys Court home the family rented caught fire Saturday.

Fire investigators said the fire started because a squirrels nest inside the pre-fab chimney caught fire. The squirrels apparently got underneath the chimney and chewed a hole in its base. They then built their nest up against the metal fireplace box that sat inside the wooden chimney shaft.  When the nest caught on fire, so did the chimney and then the side of the house.

CBS 6 reporter Jake Burns interviewed the family shortly after the fire.