RICHMOND, Va. -- In an effort to keep Virginia booze flowing to Virginians who'd like a drink, the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority (ABC) has extended permission for some Virginia distilleries to ship directly to customers.
The extension gives the distilleries another way to make money as Virginians are urged to stay at home to slow the spread of COVID-19.
“Virginia distilleries contribute to the economic vitality of the commonwealth and it’s important that they have some flexibility in how they are able to provide their products to consumers while their tasting rooms are closed,” Chief Executive Officer Travis Hill said. “The Virginia Distillers Association is a key partner in working with our distillery store agents to craft responsible policy solutions to address the unprecedented circumstances of this crisis. This temporary addendum to distillery store agreements is one example of many since this crisis where we have provided our licensees with relief from regulatory challenges in areas where we have the authority to do so.”
Here are the rules:
• No distiller may sell more than 6 bottles of spirits or 2 cases of low alcohol beverage coolers to any one consumer or licensee per month.
• Bottles of spirits shipped may be no larger than 1.75 liters.
• The distiller must ensure the recipient is at least 21 years of age.
• Direct shipment must be made by an approved common carrier (currently FedEx or UPS).
• Signature of an individual 21 years of age or older is required for delivery.
Here's a list of Virginia distilleries from whom you can order:
Franklin County Distilleries
Cape Charles Distillery
Bondurant Brothers Distillery
Three Brothers Distillery
Falls Church Distillery
A. Smith Bowman Distillery
Caiseal Beer & Spirits Co.
Virginia Distillery Company
Hill Top Distillery
Mount Defiance Cidery and Distillery
Mount Vernon Distillery
Catoctin Creek Distillery
Twin Creeks Distillery
Davis Valley Distillery
Blue Sky Distillery
Copper Fox Distillery
Additionally, Richmond-based Belle Isle Craft Spirits is offering delivery and direct shipping.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.Avoid non-essential travel.