RICHMOND, Va. - Today’s incredible edible egg recipe makes us miss the days of having brunch together. Today, Mary Rapoport of the Virginia Egg Council joins us to share the secret to creating coffee shop egg bites. You can find the recipe below or find more “eggcellent” ideas on their website.
Coffee Shop Egg Bites
This is a delectable way to prepare eggs and its carb free for folks on low-carb diets. To make these Egg Bites, you will need an Egg Bite Maker**. The blended egg mixture is placed in metal egg cups and cooked with steam, which makes them puffy with a wonderful creamy texture. This recipe was developed to be as close to the Egg Bites you purchase in high-end coffee shops as possible. Play around with the type of cheese – our latest favorite is Hot Pepper Jack cheese, because we love a bite to our egg bites! The cream cheese really gives it a creaminess that is luscious. Our suggestion is to double or triple the recipe and keep it in the fridge for another day when you get the Egg Bite craving. Egg Bites may be frozen, thawed, and micro-heated or simply refrigerate leftovers and micro-heat. The crumbled bacon is optional, but makes it look nice and gives it a bit of crunch. Red bell pepper would be another option.
Makes 2 Egg Bites - Serves 1
· 1 large egg
· 3 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
· 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
· 1 ½ teaspoons crumbled cooked bacon, or bacon bits or chopped red Bell pepper*
· In a small blender jar, place egg and cheeses. Cover with lid and blend for about 10 seconds.
· Divide mixture evenly between egg cups in the egg tray in the Egg Bite Maker. Do not exceed the MAX Fill Line. Sprinkle tops with bacon or chopped pepper.
· Add 100 mL water to water reservoir of Egg Bite Maker. Place egg bite tray over reservoir. Place lid on Tray.
· Plug into electric outlet to start cooking. Two lights will illuminate. When the green light turns off, the egg bites are done. Unplug.
· Remove lid. Slip egg bites to a plate and enjoy.
*Chopped roasted pepper, cooked spinach, chopped ham are all possibilities for toppings
**The Egg Bite Maker tested is made by Hamilton Beach Brands, Richmond, Virginia