RICHMOND, Va. - The cool weather ahead makes fall the perfect time to make homemade chili. Chef Andre Smith of Commonwealth Senior Living joins us today with an extra special chili seafood chili recipe.
Prep Time 6 mins / Cook Time 44 mins / Total Time 50 mins / Servings: 4
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 can 15-16 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 can 15 ounces tomato sauce
• 1 Large Beefsteak tomato diced
• 6 ounces tomato paste
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1 medium onion chopped
• 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
• 4 cloves garlic chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
• 1-1/2 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
• 1-pound large raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
• 1-pound jumbo lump crabmeat
• 1/4- pound black mussels (meat only)
1. In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, sauté onion and jalapeno pepper in oil for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, adding garlic at the 3-minute mark
2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, cumin, chili powder, and basil.
3. Reduce to medium heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes allowing all the flavors to develop through the chili base.
4. Add mussels, shrimp, and seafood seasoning; simmer 8 minutes longer or until shrimp is firm.
5. Lastly add crabmeat and simmer 2 minutes longer
6. Garnish the dish with fresh cilantro and a lemon wedge
7. Dish pairs great with rice and fresh cornbread.