RICHMOND, Va. -- Executive and Personal Chef Tammy Brawley, owner of The Green Kitchen RVA shows us how to prepare a healthy Broccoli Caesar Salad with crispy tempeh bits. To learn more about the Green Kitchen RVA check out their website.
Broccoli Caesar with Smoky Tempeh Bits
Creamy Cashew Caesar Dressing
2 tbsp raw cashew butter
2 tbsp warm water
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated on a microplane
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp capers, minced
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
3 tbsp olive oil
Crumbled Tempeh + Salad
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into small florets
1/2 block tempeh (114 g), crumbled
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp gluten free tamari
extra nutritional yeast + ground black pepper
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, add the cashew butter, warm water, lemon juice, garlic, dijon mustard, capers, nutritional yeast, and olive oil. Close the lid and shake the jar vigorously to combine.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 4 minutes, until the broccoli turns bright green. Drain the broccoli and rinse under cold water. Set aside in a clean dish towel to dry thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, add the paprika, smoked paprika, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and tamari.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the crumbled tempeh. Let it rest and sear for 2 minutes. Stir the tempeh, and then let it cook for another 1-2 minutes. Pour the paprika mixture into the pan and stir to coat the tempeh. Remove pan from heat.
- Plate the broccoli and drizzle the cashew caesar dressing overtop. Sprinkle with the tempeh and garnish with extra nutritional yeast and freshly ground pepper to finish. Enjoy!