NewsLocal News

Actions

2 found dead in Richmond house fire

Vinton Street fire.jpeg
Posted at 9:24 AM, Aug 31, 2021
and last updated 2021-08-31 16:52:34-04

RICHMOND, Va. -- A Richmond couple was found deceased inside a Richmond home on Tuesday morning. The Richmond Fire Department identified the deceased of Ray and Clara Humphrey, both 84, of Vinton Street.

Emergency crews responded to a house fire along the 1400 block of Vinton Street, off Williamsburg Road in Richmond, at about 8 a.m.

"The first arriving crews performed a search and located Clara Humphrey," a Richmond Fire spokesperson wrote in an email. "They removed her from the home and went back inside, as there were reports of two occupants. Crews then located Ray Humphrey and removed him from the home. CPR was performed on both victims, but neither survived."

Fire investigators believe the fire started in the living room of the home and smoking, plus the improper disposal of a cigarette or cigar was the cause.

"Investigators have determined the fire originated on a sofa in the living room and the cause is improperly discarded smoking materials," the email continued. "They also discovered there were no working smoke alarms in the home."

The Humphreys are the 10th and 11th people to be killed in Richmond fires in 2021.

This is a developing story, so anyone with more information can email newstips@wtvr.com to send a tip.