NewsLocal News

Actions

Three hospitalized in Powhatan fire

Three people were sent to local hospitals after a home caught fire in Powhatan County Wednesday afternoon.
Posted at 11:42 PM, Mar 04, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-05 09:03:42-05

POWHATAN COUNTY, Va. -- Three people were sent to local hospitals after a home caught fire in Powhatan County Wednesday afternoon.

The home belonged to Sherwood Haddon’s parents.

"One of them’s 86, one of them’s 90," said Haddon. “They heard a loud pop and the electric motor in one of their chairs started smoking and they looked at it and it was burning."

Haddon said his sister lives next door and rushed right over to help.

"My sister got them out to the chairs while the fire department got here and got them out there," Haddon said.

His sister, and parents were later transported to nearby hospitals.

"Just observations checking them out for smoke inhalation and stuff like that," Haddon added.

Haddon said his parents will now live with him once they are out of the hospital and he plans to work on rebuilding their home.

"Just thankful that everybody’s still here and this can be built back," Haddon said.