Actions

Free gun safes for Richmond families after teen dies in 'tragedy'

The Richmond Office of Gun Violence Prevention handed out up to 20 free gun safes to Belt Atlantic residents following a teen's accidental shooting death in August.
Teenage boy killed after shooting at Richmond apartments, police say
Belt Atlantic apartments boy killed accidental shooting
Posted

RICHMOND, Va. — A 15-year-old died at the Belt Atlantic apartment complex earlier in August after police say he accidentally shot himself with a gun. Now, community leaders and the Richmond Office of Gun Violence Prevention are responding with a gun safety initiative.

The plan Friday was to hand out up to 20 gun safes, along with self-care kits, to women in the Belt Atlantic community to promote gun safety and prevent gun violence.

Belt Atlantic resident Zamaya Scott received one of the safes.

"If my godkids come in, I will feel safer, knowing that my gun is locked away and sealed, and they will not be able to reach it," Scott said.

Scott has seen violence firsthand in her community and said the fear it creates affects everyday life.

"It's scary for the people that live there because they're here to live as a resident and not feel scared to come outside or let their children go play knowing they won't get shot at, so we're just trying to change that," Scott said.

Teenage boy killed after shooting at Richmond apartments, police say

The gun safes were provided by the Richmond Office of Gun Violence Prevention. The distribution took place at New Life Deliverance Tabernacle, where a round table in the main hall represents the action community leaders want to see follow prayer — an end to violence in Richmond, especially on the south side.

According to data from Richmond Police, the area near Belt Atlantic at 4000 Midlothian Turnpike is one of 13 gun violence hotspots in the city. So far in 2026, there have been 26 accidental shootings, with 18 of those being self-inflicted or due to reckless handling.

A new law passed in July requires the safe storage of handguns where minors may be present.

Scott said she believes the initiative could make a real difference.

"It's going to be a big help to me to know that when I'm in the house, or if I'm not in the house, anyone or a child underage will be safe in my home," Scott said.

She also stressed that addressing gun violence starts at home.

"We need to get people more active about gun violence," Scott said.

Scott said the thought of a child accessing an unsecured firearm is heartbreaking.

"I would feel very devastated to know that a child had a firearm within my possession — or anybody else's possession — and end up hurting themselves; that's a tragedy," Scott said.

Anyone in need of a gun safe can call the Office of Gun Violence Prevention at 804-516-0451.

CBS 6 is committed to sharing community voices on this important topic. Email your thoughts to the CBS 6 Newsroom.

Watch for A.J. Nwoko's reporting on CBS 6 and WTVR.com. Have a story idea or tip for A.J.? Email him.

  • This story was initially reported by a journalist and has been converted to this platform with the assistance of AI. Our editorial team verifies all reporting on all platforms for fairness and accuracy. To learn more about how we use AI in our newsroom, click here.