HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- Police are alerting the public after officers said a man tried to rob a driver at an ATM in Henrico County's West End Tuesday evening.
Henrico Police were called to a report of an attempted robbery outside a bank in the 1700 block of N. Parham Road just before 6 p.m.
"Officers were able to speak to the victim who was at the ATM trying to make a transaction when an unknown male, shown in the photos below, approached the vehicle and began demanding money, possibly with a knife."
Police said the driver managed to drive away and call 911.
"The victim was able to react quickly and appropriately," police said.
Police descried the suspect as a black male between the ages of 19-25, 5 feet 8 and 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing about 180-200 pounds.
Anyone who can identify the person in the surveillance photos is s asked to contact Detective N. Tuzzo at 804-501-5000 or Crime Stoppers at 804780-1000.
Police offered these tips and reminders:
- Be aware of your surroundings. If anything or anyone seems suspicious, stop your transaction and go to another ATM.
- Use machines that you are familiar with.
- Make sure the area is well-lit.
- Never walk away from the ATM with cash in your hand. Secure your money and bank card before walking away.
- Report acts of crime, no matter how minor; your actions can help others from becoming victims.