The number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide has topped 16 million.
The U.S. leads the count with 4.1 million, followed by 2.3 million in Brazil and 1.3 million in India, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
The U.S. also has the highest number of deaths with 146,460, followed by 86,449 in Brazil and 45,823 in the U.K.
In the U.S., New York state leads with 32,608 deaths.
White House pushes narrow virus aid; Pelosi blasts GOP delay
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday assailed Republican “disarray” over a new pandemic relief package as the White House suggested a narrower effort might be necessary, at least for now.
The California Democrat panned the Trump administration’s desire to trim an expiring temporary federal unemployment benefit from $600 weekly to about 70% of pre-pandemic wages.
“The reason we had $600 was its simplicity,” she said from the Capitol. White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin wrapped up meetings Sunday at the Capitol a $1 trillion pandemic relief package.
Meadows said they have an agreement “in principle” with Senate Republicans ahead of Monday's expected rollout.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Avoid non-essential travel.