RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Commonwealth University announced Monday it would require all students who "live, learn, work, or will be on campus for any reason" to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Here is what the university posted online:
Student vaccines: Vaccination will be required for all students who live, learn, work or will be on campus for any reason (excluding those with religious or health exemptions). Survey results show strong majorities of students, parents, faculty and staff support this requirement. Students attending fall classes must report their vaccination to University Student Health Services no later than July 15; Health Sciences students and those taking summer classes should receive and report their vaccinations sooner, if possible. Students who receive a two-dose vaccination must report completion of both doses. This requirement will allow our students to safely learn, live, gather and experience college at its best. For more information about full vaccination, documentation requirements, religious and health exemptions, and vaccine manufacturers, see the student vaccine FAQ.
- Employee vaccines: The university strongly encourages our employees to follow the guidance of the Public Health Response Team in choosing to be vaccinated as soon as possible. All full- and part-time VCU faculty and staff who have not already reported their vaccine must complete the following survey by July 15 to report their vaccination status to the university. For more information, see the vaccine FAQ for faculty and staff.
- Physical distancing: There are no longer physical distancing requirements or density restrictions in campus spaces. This is applicable to classes, events, meetings, research laboratories and gatherings. Facilities and signage will be updated over the summer to reflect this change. Although classrooms are currently set at 66 percent capacity for the fall semester, colleges and schools may increase course capacity as needed. Unvaccinated community members and visitors must follow CDC guidelines for indoor and outdoor activities.
- Masks: Masks are not required for those who are vaccinated, but remain required for those who are not vaccinated and required for everyone (vaccinated or unvaccinated) in the following settings:
- Congregate housing: Specifically, masks are required in all common areas of VCU residence halls
- Health care settings at VCU (e.g., University Student Health Services, University Counseling, VCU Health System owned, operated or leased spaces, etc.)
- Whenever accommodations for immune-compromised community members may be necessary
- Vaccinated community members who wish to wear a mask out of an abundance of caution are encouraged to do so.
VCU joins the University of Virginia, James Madison University, and William & Mary (pending full FDA approval), as state schools requiring students to be vaccinated before returning to campus.