RICHMOND, Va. – COVID-19 community testing continues this week at three locations in the Richmond and Henrico Health Districts.
The free testing is being offered for people who may not have insurance, or whose insurance does not cover COVID-19.
Testing will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- Monday, May 11 – Community Supermarket at 1915 Mechanicsville Turnpike in East Richmond
- Tuesday, May 12 – Southwood Apartments at 1200 Southwood Parkway in South Richmond
- Thursday, May 14 – Eastern Henrico Recreation Center at 1440 N. Laburnum Avenue in East Henrico
To register for the testing, which is by appointment to facilitate safety and social distancing, call the Richmond and Henrico hotline at 804-205-3501.
The testing is for uninsured and underinsured persons age 5 and older who have COVID-19 symptoms (fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, flu-like symptoms), who are pregnant, have underlying medical conditions that put them at risk, are age 65 and older.
"Walk up testing is available to persons who meet testing criteria, but is not guaranteed due to limited availability," officials said.
Most patients with COVID-19 have mild to moderate symptoms. However, in a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can lead to more severe illness, including death, particularly among those who are older or those who have chronic medical conditions.
COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms appear within 14 days of being exposed to an infectious person.
Virginia health officials urged the following precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.Avoid non-essential travel.