News

Actions

26 women sexually assaulted at concert

Default-Image_1280x720.jpg
Posted at 7:22 AM, Jun 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-01 07:22:26-04

BERLIN — More than two dozen young women reported they were sexually assaulted at a concert in Germany, authorities said.

The alleged incidents occurred Saturday night at Schlossgrabenfest, an open air music festival near Darmstadt town. The festival ran from Thursday to Sunday.

Police said it’s likely the sexual assaults could have happened in other locations as more women emerge in addition to the 26 who’ve come forward so far.

About 80,000 people attended the concert Saturday and 400,000 over its duration, police said.

Most of the reports were filed by women between ages 16 to 25, said Ferdinand Derigs, a spokesman for Darmstadt police.

As many as 10 men may have been involved in the assaults, he said.

Three Pakistani men have been arrested in connection with incident. The trio is between ages 28 and 31, and allegedly assaulted two or three women, authorities said.

One of the men has lived in Germany for some time, while the other two moved recently.