Richmond suspect in triple shooting, now charged with two Southside homicides

Posted at 3:47 PM, Dec 08, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-08 16:12:30-05
Anwar "Wawa' Phillips

Anwar “Wawa’ Phillips

RICHMOND, Va. — Police have charged Anwar “Wawa” Phillips in connection with two homicides that occurred in the city’s southside in November.

Phillips has been charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit murder related to the November 10 homicide of Rolando Salas and the November 16 homicide of Frank McCray.

The man wanted for a November triple shooting, that killed one man and left another man and a seven-year-old girl with injuries, was shot at a Henrico apartment complex on November 20. He’s been in police custody ever since with life-threatening injuries.

Initially Phillips was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and malicious wounding.

Poilce don’t believe either shooting was random. They said they think he was known to at least one victim in each incident and that the cases are related.


Phillips was wanted for the November 16 triple shooting at Blue Ridge Apartments, where one man was killed and two others injured.

“At approximately 9:25 p.m., officers were called to the 300 block of Red Ash Road for a report of shots fired,” a Richmond Police spokeswoman said. “Officers arrived and located three persons who were suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.”

Frank A. McCray, 49, was found unresponsive in the rear yard of the building. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The second charge stems from a homicide that occurred about a week prior on Talbert Drive.

On November 10, officers responded to the 1400 block of Talbert Drive for a report of shots fired. Upon arrival they found the body of Rolando D. Salas, 30, of Chesterfield County, lying on the side of the roadway. He had suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

Police record

Phillips record shows he was a convicted felon by age 18. In March 2004, he shot at a Richmond police officer after crashing a stolen van.

Phillips was initially charged with attempted capital murder of a police officer, but was convicted of attempted murder, grand larceny and use of a firearm by a felon.

He was sentenced to 22 years with all but seven suspended.

He was released in late 2010. A year later was convicted of driving and narcotics charges.

Phillips was released from prison five months ago.