Richmond triple shooting fugitive shot at police previously

Posted at 11:37 PM, Nov 19, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-19 23:37:51-05

RICHMOND, Va. -- Anwar "Wawa" Phillips, the 30-year-old Richmond fugitive wanted for Monday night's triple shooting in South Richmond that left a man dead and a child wounded, has been locked up nearly all of his adult life and is considered armed and dangerous.

He was already a convicted felon by age 18. In March 2004, he shot at a Richmond police officer after crashing a stolen van.

Records show he was fleeing from police in the van when he crashed it on Green Ridge Drive in South Richmond.

He was lying face down in the van when a pursuing officer approached. Phillips then sat up and fired two shots at the officer with a .38 revolver, according to a news account at the time. The officer managed to knock the pistol aside, but the suspect went for the officer's weapon. Back-up officers helped subdue the suspect.

Phillips was initially charged with attempted capital murder of a police officer, but was convicted of attempted murder, grand larceny and use of a firearm by a felon.

He was sentenced to 22 years with all but seven suspended.

Anwar "Wawa' Phillips

Anwar "Wawa' Phillips

He was released in late 2010. A year later was convicted of driving and narcotics charges.

Phillips was released from prison four months ago.

Police officials have not released the details or motive in the triple shooting at the Blue Ridge Estate Apartments on Red Ash Drive. Neighbors heard bursts of gunfire and responding officers found a 7-year-old girl and an adult male shot inside an apartment. A third victim, an adult male, was found shot to death in a wooded area behind the apartments.

That victim's identity has not been released by police.

Phillips is known to frequent the motels on Midlothian Turnpike. There is a $5,000 award offered for information leading to his capture. Anyone with information about the location of Phillips is asked to call (877) 926-8332.