Catastrophic tree-trimming accident sparks house fire, knocks out power

Posted at 3:44 PM, Mar 17, 2015
and last updated 2015-03-17 19:15:32-04

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Va. -- A house is on fire after a boom hit a power line while tree-trimming work was underway in the 300 block of Walnut Avenue.

The tree trimmer's boom struck the power line. The line arced when it was hit, and electricity was sent down the line to several homes. One home caught on fire.


Firefighters are going door to door to check on residents in the area, said Lt. Joe Boisseau Deputy Fire Marshall. He said that the line is on the ground and still live.

A man in the neighborhood was shocked when he touched a metal faucet after taking a shower.  He was transported to the hospital.