News

Actions

Doctor accused of killing runner Meg Menzies will enter a plea

Posted at 12:03 AM, Dec 02, 2014

HANOVER, Va. -- Hanover court records indicate that Dr. Michael Carlson will enter a plea deal on Monday, Dec. 8, in connection with the death of runner and mother Meg Menzies.

CBS 6 is working to get more details of his plea.  He was slated for a jury trial on Dec. 9, but that was withdrawn, according to court records.

A grand jury indicted the Hanover doctor for Involuntary Manslaughter, in July.  Carlson was the driver who investigators said hit and killed runner Meg Menzies on January 13, 2014.

Michael J. Carlson (PHOTO: Hanover County Sheriff's Office)

Michael J. Carlson (PHOTO: Hanover County Sheriff's Office)

Meg’s husband Scott Menzies testified he saw a vehicle, driven by Dr. Carlson, lose control and hit Meg as she tried running into a ditch to get out of the car’s way.

Scott Menzies described how he pleaded with Dr. Carlson to help, but noticed Carlson’s “slurred speech.”

Scott, an Ashland Police Officer, said he then asked Carlson if he had been drinking. Scott said Carlson responded “no,” but Scott had a feeling Carlson “was being dishonest.”

Meg Menzies

Meg Menzies

Scott said during this time, Carlson ran back to his car and tried to drive out of the ditch.

During the hearing the DUI charge Carlson faced was nolle prossed. That means it was thrown out for now, but could be brought back at any time.

This is a developing story.