Seven people escape house fire in Chesterfield

Posted at 9:10 AM, Oct 11, 2014
and last updated 2014-10-11 11:52:15-04

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va -- A Chesterfield home was damaged after a fire early Saturday morning.

It happened at a single-family house on Colony Oak Lane in the Midlothian area. Fire officials say the fire began in the house's garage.

Crews received the report of a structure fire at 1:51a.m.

By the time firefighters arrived, they saw flames coming out of the front and side of the house. Fire officials say there was heavy smoke damage throughout the house, in addition to fire damage.

The fire spread to a vehicle in the driveway and the vehicle became fully involved with fire.

The house suffered significant fire and smoke damage

Fire Marshals determined the fire started in the garage in the area of an electrical outlet that had a few items plugged into the outlet.

Seven people were able to get out unharmed. They were alerted by fire detectors inside the home. Among them were 5 residents and 2 guests.

The three adults and two children residents will be displaced.

The fire remains under investigation.